THE 2008 = 60 TOUR
THE SCOOTER CYCLE DIARIES

DAY 1:











Up early to do the last packing, weather check and a strong cup of coffee. Saddled up at 6:30
am. Surprisingly Vicki was up to see me off and take a picture. It was much lighter than the
picture shows. The big concern was escaping the St. Pete area and rush hour traffic. My route
all day would be US-19, but I choose an alternate route for the freest 74 miles that kept me on a
four line divided highway, but much less commercial development than US-19. I rejoined
US-19 south of Spring Hill and made my first gas stop in Spring Hill. It had been a “no stress”
ride through rush hour.

Not a lot of traffic now as I whizzed through Weeki Wachee, Homossa Springs, and skidded to
a halt at the Crystal River International airport. It was time for a break and I new this was a
nice shady place with good bathrooms and a water fountain. A few phone calls, map check,
weather check and I was off again passing Wings Ln and Gen Clare Cheanault Dr.
I took a left towards Historic Crackertown (that is the real name) and Yankeetown. Both are
just old, small groups of houses on the Withalcoochee River. When I made the turn I came
across this sign. I consider it a sign from the spirits that this is a trip that I had to make.

There has been much to about Yankeetown and it's future. I think the economy has taken care
of any rampant growth in that area. There are a few fishing boats left, but not many.

Back on US-19 I continue the ride and arrive at Chiefland with a low fuel light on. I will have
to change the mind set on gas. I see a sign that says 40 miles to the next town and I think “that
ain't to far”. However, it is half my gas tank to get there. Think I will fuel more often now.
Stopped here and stopped there just for curiosity but found nothing unusual until I came to the
Dakotah Winery. One of those places I had seen but never stopped. I was presently surprised
that the wine was good. The main wines are from Scupanon grapes that they grow on 17
acres. The winery is run by Max Rittgers and his son Rob. Rob was tending bar today. He is
quite the salesman and very interesting person. Harry and Beth of Arkansas came in in the
middle of my private tasting. They where very nice people and we discussed the wine and the
high waters in their home area. Rob was glad they showed up as they not only drank wine like
me, but they bought lots to take home. I would have bought but had no place to carry it.
After they left Rob, who just got a scooter, and I told lies to each other for a little while. His
previous job had been in the Peace Corp in St. Vincent. Unfortunately, we did not get to cover
that subject as real customers showed. I will stop in again and maybe we can finish that story.

I left the winery, sober, and continued the journey. You would never know it, but the road
begins a very, very gradual climb here. I realized it when I found at times I was wide open
throttle and just maintaining 50-55 mph, my target speed.
As you, know I usually take the Princess some place like Paris, Italy, etc., etc., for her
anniversary. But that has not always been true. One year we spent our anniversary in the big
city of Cross City, FLA. The only thing I knew Cross City was famous for was a beer drinking
pig at the airport. He either drank himself to death or some on decided that beer made for
tender pork. We where headed from the Pan Handle to Daytona Beach and our friend Bob
Pender was testifying in Cross City as an “expert witness”. He had encouraged me to drop in
and witness what he thought was one of the biggest lawyer time padding trails he had ever
seen. He did not like it but he was making big bucks just sitting there. When I walked in the
court room the only people present where the judge, bailiff, court report and lawyers for both
sides and Bob. I think everyone was asleep but the lawyer speaking and his witness. The
bailiff was passed out and the judge was nodding off. Long story short, we wound up at this
wonderful motel in the parking lot drinking beer and sitting on all the Cadillac's rented by the
lawyers (only one of the five was local).

Next stop is the wood capital of FLA, Perry. I gassed up again and took off for Poncey's
Restaurant. To my dismay, it was closed for vacation or some such thing. Not sure what was
ahead, I doubled back to Goodman's BBQ. Not what I had in mind, but better than fast food.
The road to Monticello was like the most of the rest of this ride had been, very little traffic and
lots of pine trees

Pull into Monticello around 2:15 and no one was home at my first choice of B&B, so I backed
up to the Cottage Bed and Breakfast. This was meant to be. The owner is French and after
negotiating about a 30% discount including wine, I checked in.


Monticello is a very nice quite town which is one of the highest towns in FLA at 300' (wow)
and in 1922 it was the largest producer of watermelon. That is all great but it ain't got but a
Mexican and Pizza place to eat in town.